Thursday, October 13, 1983

Pass to the golden world


Last night at nine, after rushing to finish my work on Blake, I caught the bus to Masquerades and to what turned into a repeat of the last time we were there. Most people save Gareth turned up; he’s ill with food poisoning. We all got pissed on the ½-price drinks.

I presented my tutorial this afternoon on Blake’s Prophecy, in which America emerges as a symbol for the realisation of man. This is a theme which fascinates me, and it’s detectable through a lot of the literature I’ve looked at (Wolfe, Whitman, Thoreau, Kerouac, etc.). Although our dreams are always shattered by reality, still we go on dreaming.

After my tutorial ended I went down to the library café and met Guy and we went home on the bus amid tremendous downpours; we got absolutely soaked as we sprinted for Dee’s Diner, where we had something to eat and played a few games of pinball and Pac-Man.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative